Platform Technology Overview
A wide variety of technologies have been explored for drug delivery minipumps. Until now, none met the requirements of combining advanced features with convenient single-use design. The sc2Wear™ Infusor consists of two components:
The reusable Activator
A cell-phone size device with everything necessary to power, control and monitor the patch pump. It contains advanced electronics, a rechargeable battery, LED light indicators, and a small speaker. It can be used up to 300 times.
The single-use Cartridge
A disposable component that contains everything that comes into contact with the drug or the body. It contains the unique advanced micropiston pump, a needle insertion and retraction mechanism, a fluid reservoir and a base plate with an adhesive backing to adhere to the skin during use.
When assembled and administering medication, the treatment looks like this. During delivery the patient can continue many normal activities of daily living, except vigorous exercise or activities that might cause the device to get wet, such as swimming or bathing.
Advanced Features and Affordability
The unique two-component design combines the powerful advanced features of a durable multi-use device and the affordability of a disposable single-use device. The design of the sc2Wear™ Infusor bypassed the need to compromise between features and affordability.
Two-component Design Features and Benefits
The unique micropiston pump enabled a first of its kind two component design with the following features:
- Precision: Every rotation of the motor corresponds to approximately 1/5th of a drop. Each rotation of the electromotor is controlled by a computer chip.
- Broad range of delivery options: The sc2Wear™ Infusor can deliver medication fast, slow or at different speeds using an advanced profile. For example, in the case of furosemide, the pump goes fast for one hour to get to the right blood levels. It then switches to slow at a constant rate for 4 hours to maintain the right blood levels.. It can also give multiple doses over time, for example, a dose every eight hours when filled for a 24-hour treatment.
- Controlled needle insertion and retraction mechanism: While most needle insertion mechanisms rely on a spring-loaded insertion mechanism, the sc2Wear™ Infusor has an advanced electronically controlled needle insertion and retraction mechanism.
- Electronic visual and audible alerts: The reusable has a LED light bar that can light up or flash in different colors. This is the main indicator signifying the current state of the sc2Wear™ Infusor. Smaller LED light step indicators inform the user of readiness to operate. Finally, there are error and battery indicators that signal particular issues that require attention and resolution.
- Advanced safety features: A number of safety features come standard in the sc2Wear™ Infusor. These include:
- Sensors monitoring pump function: In the unlikely event that an occlusion occurs, the sensors will detect it, halt the pump and alert the user.
- Automatic needle retraction: Controlled by the advanced electronics, the needle retracts at the end of the treatment to allow for safe removal.
- Re-use protection:. The disposable single-use cartridge has a single-use lock that prevents further use. The needle will not come out if someone tries to use the sc2Wear™ Infusor for a second time.
- No need to program the sc2Wear™ Infusor: The sc2Wear™ Infusor comes preprogrammed for express use with the medication it is prescribed with.
- Use of standard medication container: There are many injectable medications but a limited number of containers which hold them. Filling and storing injectable pharmaceuticals is best done in a glass container with a rubber seal or topper. This is called a vial. The sc2Wear™ Infusor transfers medication from a standard pharmaceutical container into the sc2Wear™ Infusor’s internal reservoir prior to each use. This enables it to be developed for a broad range of pharmaceuticals.